TOYOTA OPEN DAY
WOW – What a day! A big thank you to all that supported our Toyota Open Day with monies raised going to the Stawell, Halls Gap and Pomonal CFA’s and Stawell SES. It was absolutely amazing and your patience when waiting in line (for everything) was brilliant. We would also like to acknowledge and thank those who helped on the day.
ENDANGERED CAPTIVE BREEDING PROGRAMS
We have had a very successful breeding season with five curlews ready to be released in the near future as part of the NCWG Bush Stone-curlew breed and release program.
Thank you to “Tim’s Place” for your continued support.
Animal of the month
Water Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)
Facts on water buffalo
- Water buffalo is a large animal. Males are three times bigger than females.
- They can reach 6.6 to 9.8 feet in height, and weight between 1500 and 2650 pounds.
- Water buffalo are a domesticated animal used mainly in Southeast Asia for tilling rice fields and to provide mike. Their milk is richer in fat and protein than that of the dairy cow.
- Water buffalo is used as a transportation system for transfer of heavy loads and people. Because of that, it is known as “tractor of the east”.
- Water buffalo spends majority of its day submerged in the muddy water. This way, animals is able to keep its body temperature stable and prevent overheating.
Download the kids activities sheets for this month featuring water buffalo.
Five minutes with Ron
Where did you grow up?
Ballarat & District
What are your hobbies? What do you like to do when you are not at work?
Running, Bike riding and Fishing.
What made you decide that you wanted to work in a zoo? What attracted you to this job?
Took early retirement from Australia post, Needed a part time job. Love the fact it an outside job.
Where have you worked before this job?
Australia Post 40 Years
Have you had any special training that prepared you for this career? Are you pursuing any further qualifications?
No and No
What is most rewarding about your job; what makes it all worthwhile?
Watching the development and being part of it.
What’s the hardest thing for you about your job?
Remembering to do things!
Do you have a favourite animal? Why is it your favourite?
Bill the Water Buffalo. He’s a bit of a loner….
Do you have any advice to offer people who are aspiring to work in this field?
Be prepared to work. Be ready for anything.
How long have you worked at the Halls Gap Zoo?
Most exciting thing about working at the zoo or with a particular animal?
Playing hide and seek with the giraffe, when trying to lock them in for the night it’s a matter who was the smartest.